A message from the Executive Director about the Coronavirus
Dear Global Ageing Network Members,
As I’m sure you have heard on the news, many countries are preparing for a Coronavirus outbreak or are currently implementing measures to contain spread of Coronavirus. We have gathered the most relevant and essential tools for you as you prepare your organization for the possibility of an outbreak.
COVID-19 (also referred to as the coronavirus) poses a significant threat to those who become infected. Should the virus spread within your country, as it has in other countries, the older people you support will be disproportionately impacted because of age and, in some cases, close living conditions.
Global Ageing Network is working with our partners to monitor the situation closely. In collaboration with peer organizations and international agencies, we will ensure that the health of the older adult population is a top priority during this time.
Stay up-to-date on the latest news about COVID-19 by visiting these websites for need-to-know information:
- World Health Organization Coronavirus Disease Outbreak
- CDC Information for Healthcare Professionals
- CDC Information on Coronavirus Disease 2019
Additional global resources and information can be found through the World Health Organization, Center for Disease Control, and our partner, LeadingAge. New information will be updated as it becomes available. Here are some of the latest articles addressing COVID-19:
- World Health Organization Risk Communication Package for Health Care Facilities
- Affordable Housing Providers and the Coronavirus
- By The Numbers: A Coronavirus Wake Up Call
There are also webinars taking place this week, including:
- The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention is hosting a webinar on Thursday, March 5 at 2 p.m. EST, entitled, “What Clinicians Need to Know to Prepare for COVID-19 in the United States.” Here is the call information.
Thank you for your hard work supporting older adults and staff members every day. Please keep in touch and reach out if there is something Global Ageing Network can do for you.
Katie Smith Sloan
Executive Director, Global Ageing Network